A friendly conversation

...with a complete stranger.

Yesterday, I was in Glorieta 4 with Alvin. We were going to watch “The Longest Yard.” We were a bit early for the next screening so he bought me coffee in Starbucks ordering my favorite (tall cafe mocha with hazel nut syrup). We sat outside where we usually do and had some smoke.

We started talking about small things like, how he can cook well and promising me that he’ll cook for me (one of these days). Later on, I started doing an illustration for the office. Axelia - my Crusader (in Philippines Ragnarok, Sakray 2) who turned Paladin a few weeks ago. It’s been a while since I drew something and it turned out well enough.

A few minutes later, a Japanese guy sat at next table with two Filipinas. The two girls were wearing skimpy skirts and very tight tops; having make ups like they came from a bar or something. They were talking in Nihonggo and I could only understand a few lines. Then the two girls left for a while leaving the guy alone (going to take a power, I guess).

The guy suddenly turned to us and started to talk. It was a bit hard to have a conversation with him as he spoke in Japanese with a few English words. I tried to have a friendly conversation as he would slow down and try to talk fluently in English. In the back of my head (I swear), I wish that my friend Dex El was there with us. I couldn’t think of a word in Japanese when it was called for. (So much for self-studying Nihongo)

It took a while for the two girls to come back, so both Alvin and I had a hard time trying to understand him. As I tried to brush off with my Nihongo, I wanted to ask him his name. Then, I just blurted “Anata no namae des’ ka?” (Anata = you; namae = name) and he was so pleased that I spoke in Japanese (somehow) and so he answered. I actually, forgot his name quickly since he once again talked in Nihonggo too fast. The only words that I understood were that he’s asking my name also.

“Watashi wa Diwa desu.” (I am Diwa)

“Ah, Diwa-san,” he uttered.

I found out that he was an elementary teacher in Kyoto and he came here in my country to see the sights. He was amazed how Makati City is. It seemed just like Tokyo, he says. Alvin made a comment after a few seconds saying “watashi wa baka desu” (baka = stupid). I laughed a bit and replied “bakanai desu yo” (bakanai = not stupid).

A few minutes later, the two girls came back. I looked at the time and the movie is almost going to start. We said goodbye to the Japanese guy and went inside the theater. I know it was weird but both Alvin and I did feel stupid at the time, trying to speak in a language that we barely know of. (Serves to watch Anime once in a while, ne?) It was delightful that I (somewhat or actually) had a conversation in Nihonggo.

Comments

Popular Posts