Measuring ones self

Measuring one’s self as a web Professional

To some people who knew me since college, I started creating websites since 1997. Although, looking back at my first designs they aren’t much to look at. One could say it’s an amateur design (recalls PhotoShop 4 as the hype of the century back then).

Eyeball-design.com was the first site that inspired me to try to create my very own website. Learning how to create flame effects on words in Photo Shop 4; reverse studying on HTMLS from other websites; chopping them up and making one of your own; making inspired (*rip-off*) layouts from known and unknown websites and learn to have our own styles. We all pass through these things, but how can we really measure ourselves?

Is it the measure of popularity? Is it the weight of your salary? Or is it the trophy that’s gathering dust on your shelf? To some designing/programming websites are more of a passion rather than just the money itself. But, yes, money does count. It feeds you with your daily and non-daily needs; it quenches your thirst for high-tech gadgets and the likes. Popularity also adds up to knowing your worth and how clients will pay you.

Every designers or developers are trying to make a difference. Some are getting pretty well known and a few are just there to cherish the fact that they can make a website. There are certain people who would be in their crab mentality and put fellow web professionals down until they could no longer stand up.

I had my shares of having the lime light over my face. Though, I never imagined that I would be one. But, I never won any real awards. I, then, had a lot of anonymous hate e-mail and threats within those years. It bothered me so much that I tried to lay low and just tried to do my best to work and feed myself.

Now, I am in a gaming company and still doing webs designs. I started thinking of going back to where it all started. Really focus on what I am good at, until yesterday I found some messages in one of my tag-boards; someone was impersonating me and said some malicious things about me.

So, how can you measure yourself as a web professional?

Comments

Anonymous said…
exagg naman yun. thing is, stuff like that are hard to measure. like for instance, Animetric and I earn more from our websites than I did from LUG or the regular day jobs we had. still, it's not because of our measure as webmasters, but more because of our rating as writers. even then, hindi porke mabenta ang sinulat mo, ibig sabihin ganun ka kagaling di ba? haynaku, wag mo na sila pansinin and just do what you do best. - bea

Popular Posts