Breach of Privacy and Stupidity

What would your reaction be if your complete name, birthday and complete address can be seen in the internet for public viewing? This came to my attention when a friend of mine showed me the address of the website and I am really shocked and infuriated.

WELCOME TO THE COMELEC NCR WEBSITE! The SAN MIGUEL CORPORATION through its national advocacy office fully supports this publication of the voters list in pursuit of transparency to the end that the stakeholders in our election will trust COMELEC more. This shares with all the responsibility for cleansing the voters list. View it and inform us of corrections to be made: inclusion of omitted voters, exclusion of voters who should not be included by reason of death, transfer of residence, conviction, loss of citizenship, double registration, etc. Let us all work together for truthful elections and living democracy!

— Director Ferdinand T. Rafanan.

Fully supporting a publication where you can see the voter's list along with their complete address, birth date and complete address is just plain STUPID. My name is listed there and the people who I know is also listed. I'm really paranoid on regards about my personal information. The website's tagline "bring back the people's trust in the comelec" my ASS!.

The website is a breach of privacy and trust to the COMELEC. As Gelo already said: That’s an invitation for several crimes right there!

I'm a registered voter and my identity is sacred to me and knowing that there's no one else who has the same name as mine in NCR or anywhere else in the Philippines is big thing. What if someone is mad at you? what if someone got a hold of your credit card? What if those people who has delicate online accounts? Also just imagine how much kidnappings will rise. Flying voters and all that. I don't know if I should be angry or cry.

And don't even get me started with the web site's layout.

UPDATE (16 March 2007, 15:50):

The following link will take you to INQUIRER.net :
Comelec to take down online voters’ list amid privacy issues
http://newsinfo.inq7.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=55248

As of a few minutes ago, the list has been taken down from that specific site.

Comments

Popular Posts