Designer's Stigma

Design isn't just about decoration; it's a critical component of how we communicate, collaborate, and compete. But behind the "look and feel" of any good design are a host of carefully conceived principles: fundamental propositions that define the essence of the design. - Design Rules

I agree to that article, that is all I can say...for now. I'll elaborate sooner or later.

Reading more on the article even though it was posted last September 1999, the words inside are still strong to what I believe a designer almost always should be. I'll list down the words from those designers they interviewed.
  • Good design is probably 98% common sense. Above all, an object must function well and efficiently -- and getting that part right requires a good deal of time and attention.
  • The boundaries between design and art constantly intersect. But design, for me, is never frivolous.
  • I don't believe that there is a list of principles that make a good design. But I do believe that a good design should reflect a sense of human history -- some aspect of where we've come from.
  • There are three basic principles behind any well-designed product: truth, humanity, and simplicity.
  • Sometimes the success of a design has as much to do with its physical structure as with the emotion that it evokes.
  • I rarely think about design; I feel it.
  • It's simple but highly functional...
  • One of the main criteria for the design of the everyday, though, is sensuality. Something that is sensual evokes a response that's not just visual or intellectual: It's suggestive.
  • Design is not so much about the end product as it is about the process.
  • Design is harder than people think; it requires rigor, courage, and clear goals. Without a goal, design is just decoration. That might sound like a simple truism, but with a goal in mind the discipline of design becomes ordered. Every decision is reviewed and considered within the context of that goal.
  • Every now and then, a design comes along that radically changes the way we think about a particular object.
  • We interact with design on two levels: the physical and the emotional. We have a word for the physical part: ergonomics -- what feels good to you. I call the emotional level "psychonomics" -- what makes you feel good. The baseline of good design is a perfect balance of the two.
What is all this about? Did you notice in the list its commonality? If not, it's the heart. Designers most of the time, put their heart in what they do. I, personally, agree to it. I would even say that I put my heart on what I do in my everyday life.

As a web designer, I usually don't get to do what I wanted in designing a website but I always try to make a suggestion. What most people think about artist are that -- designers/artists are emotional. Rather, sensitive about their work. This may be true but some artist act professionally and accepts criticism. There are some artists that could not. I admit that some of the time, I get disappointed if I was told that my design I am proud doesn't suit the whole theme. But I do not let that issue turn into a huge dispute. I will try to defend my design and if the client doesn't see my point then I would just act on what they want.

It's been so long since I had that feeling of disappointment and I just laughed at myself when it happened.

Comments

Popular Posts